The three million dollar Chinese storm
August 1, 2022
Anyone happen to notice a group of 14 young Chinese surfers roaming about the lineups of Southern California lately?
If so, you witnessed a cog in China’s master plan to someday surf their way onto the Olympic podium. They’ve sent their top surfers to California to train for four months ahead of the 2022 ISA World Surfing Games in Huntington Beach — the first qualification event for the 2024 Games.
Keep reading on Stab Mag.
Have you ever considered a surf trip to Colombia?
October 27, 2022
As this small, rickety taxi came within view of the ocean, I felt ready to surf whatever was on offer. It’s been one of those scenarios where I hadn’t surfed in more than a month and was desperate for it.
I unstrapped my board from the taxi’s roof and stood on my tiptoes to get a better view of the waves, and… was pleasantly surprised by what was unfolding before me.
Elegantly smooth waves wrapped around a jetty, gracefully gliding for hundreds of metres down a sand-bottom point. It was only waist-to-thigh high or so, but the way the swell lines could be seen bending out to sea reminded me of a mini J-Bay.
Keep reading on Magicseaweed.
A year after my father’s death, I’m still getting to know him; turns out his time with Pranksters wasn’t so merry
October 6, 2022
“The Pranksters are a bunch of a–holes.”
My late father wrote that after spending years hovering on the fringes of the Merry Pranksters — the 1960s band of hippies, social critics and acid-trippers who orbited around author Ken Kesey and spent time drifting about Santa Cruz County well before my birth.
But according to my dad, Dean Quarnstrom, who chronicled his time with the Pranksters in his journals, they were also pretentious, untrustworthy and noninclusive as they followed Kesey, their unquestioned leader.
Keep reading on Lookout Santa Cruz.
Op-Ed: Is the Kelly Slater Wave Co. system obsolete already?
November 2, 2022
It’s been seven years since Kelly Slater first unveiled his dream wave, captivating the minds of anyone who has ever touched a surfboard.
The central-California pool broke down the door for what was once thought possible by creating 10-second barrels over 100 miles from the ocean.
But the world of wave pool technology has grown lightyears since that eureka moment and, commercially speaking, Kelly Slater Wave Co.’s (KSWC) pool has fallen behind.
Keep reading on Wavepool Magazine.
Stab Magazine (paywall)
- El Salvador’s 170 Million Dollar Bet On Surfing
- The Italian Surf Team’s New Coach Is: Adriano De Souza!
- The Three Million Dollar Chinese Storm
- The Largely Overlooked Surf Organizations That Quickly Became Multi-Million Dollar Powerhouses
- Kelly Slater’s Best Chance To Qualify For The 2024 Olympics Is Days Away, And He Doesn’t Even Have To Surf
- Can Proper Surf Instruction Mitigate Chaos In The Water?
- Turns Out You Can Win CT Events While Chasing A University Degree
- $350 Or $700: Why Do Surfboard Prices Vary So Dramatically Around The World?
Teton Gravity Research
- Mexican Skimboarders Win Battle for Access to Legendary Beach
- Rio Waida Becomes First Indonesian to Qualify for World Tour
- I Bought a One-Way Ticket to Brazil and Only Packed One Board
- Have You Ever Considered A Surf Trip to Colombia?
- Exploring India: A Surf Trip Like No Other
- Casper Steinfath Is on a Mission to Paddle 900 Miles Around Denmark
- It’s Time for Competitive Surfing to Make Decisions Regarding Transgender Athletes
- We Spoke With Two Russian Surfers About Paying for the Actions of Their Government
- The International Surfing Association Just Released Its Policy for Transgender Surfers
- This Is Ramzi Boukhiam, a 10-Year QS Warrior Set to Make History for Moroccan Surfing
Lookout Santa Cruz
- I quit my job to surf and hike across the world; you can do it, too
- A year after my father’s death, I’m still getting to know him; turns out his time with Pranksters wasn’t so merry
Rip Curl Indonesia
- The real reason wave pools haven’t been and won’t be in the Olympics
- Wave Pools & Evaporation: There’s more to the water loss equation than looking up at the sun
- While China’s first wave pool experiment crashed and burned, new intel suggests they are far from done
- The definitive guide to choosing your first wetsuit
- Is the Kelly Slater Wave Co. system obsolete already?
- Are inflation and high interest rates hurting wave pool projects? Here’s what we found out.
- How to Choose Your First Surfboard When You Graduate from a Foamie
American Surf Mag
- The Ultimate Guide to Surfing in El Salvador
- Dispatches from Surfing in Costa Rica
- The Ultimate Guide to Surfing in India
International Surfing Association
All press releases, editorial work, copy writing, script writing, etc. from 2015-2021.
- USA’s Carissa Moore and Brazil’s Italo Ferreira Crowned Historic First Olympic Surfing Champions
- Shark Attack Survivor Uses Surf Coaching to Make a Difference
El Paso Inc.
The Outdoor Journal
Various articles published.
El Sol de Tijuana
Blue Man Hoop
Article contributor to the Golden State Warriors blog.